Wednesday, March 25, 2009

More artists and who gave us a shout out this week!

The fundraiser is the day after tomorrow. This is super exciting. It's going to be a blast not to mention I can't wait to hear all the bands Misty Lyn and The Big Beautiful, Frontier Ruckus and Tone & Niche! My favorite DJ Bouget will be spinning the funk, I know I am an organizer but it's going to be a tough time getting me away from her booth. SO if you need to find me I will probably be getting my funk on with her!
Let's see we've gotten a kind response from the press too! Thank you Real Detroit, Motorcityblog, The News Herald and to all the artists who promoted themselves and this event. There are still flyers available at River's Edge Gallery and at Cass Cafe!
Anyway here is a few artists we are featuring!

Terry Walsh
Nature and my Cherokee heritage play a big part in the creation of my art. I work in many forms, drawing, painting, weaving, sculpture.
The purses you see here,some are hand~dyed, a process called IKAT. They are 100% wool and handwoven. The purse with the canyon images is inspired by my beloved Moab, Utah. The last purse, is made from scraps of material.
Originally , from Kentucky, the times I spent outside as a child gave me the greatest pleasure. I call my art 'expressionistic realism'. My creations are driven by high emotional responses to occurences in life. The deeper I feel about something, the more powerful my art forms are.
I also enjoy the feel of material and have a passion for creating one of a kind pillows. My maternal grandmother was an avid quilter.
I attended the University of Cincinnati and transferred to the University of Toledo. I received my Bachelor of Art with art as my area in 1992, and obtained my Multi~Age Licensure in Teaching Art in 2002. I was artist~in ~residence at the River Raisin for the Arts for one year. I taught painting , drawing and a portfolio class at Monroe High School, Michigan for 5 years.
April/May of 2008, I showed my work at Mondo's in Moab, Utah for 6 weeks. Two paintings and a bronze/limestone piece was shown at The Cat's Lair Gallery for an additional 6 months. I have shown extensively in Toledo, Ohio and had a one person show at Tillman Gallery. Most recently I placed 1st in the pastel division at the Bedford Art Exhibit, Michigan.
I believe there is a spiritual thread that runs thru all, water, rock, the Earth, the four~leggeds, the birds, people. It is my greatest desire to stay positive and keep my link of that chain strong. All life is good, and we are blessed.

Next up we have Shawn Young of Shionne Designs

Shionne Designs is owned and operated by native Detroiter Vershion D. Young. Since its inception in May 1996, Vershion has created one of a kind designs in beaded and metal wearable art for a national clientele. With no formal education in jewelry design, her creations have captured the attention of jewelry fashionistas and local retailers who are searching for unique designs in our "cookie cutter" world. Currently, her works can be found at the Detroit Institute of Arts gift shop and the Ann Arbor Art Center gift gallery. As a "one woman" operation, Vershion designs daily and is working on new techniques to bring forth new inspirations in wearable art for women and men. When Vershion isn't beading something, she's the loving wife of John Young and a doggy mom of two, Jazzmin and Rameses.

We also have artist/ jewelry maker Casey Jankowski--Norma Nothings! (I love her artist statement--a good sense of humor is the best!)Casey Janowski-The do-gooder, art teacher, preschooler's best friend, painter and crafter. Art taught me I could go places when I was in 3rd grade and I won first place in a Rice-a-Roni contest and a trip to Disneyland. Maybe that was my biggest art accomplishment, maybe it wasn't.I studied art in college where I painted until 4 am on most nights. Receiving my art degree, I am not that starving artist that I always dreamed to be, thank you bills, but I still have fun. I have done a lot of my “serious” art in the past, when you are in that troubled teen and early twenties, party stage. Everything is so dramatic and deep. That has taken a back seat because life is good. It's a new phase.My norma. collection has been my first consistent “series”, if you will. It all began playing Detroit Roller Derby in 2006 where I acquired the nickname “norma”. I met a lot of crafty ladies through there and got the urge to start making little stuff. From there I was brought an old vintage Montgomery Ward's catalog from the 40's for a craft night and VIOLA, norma. was born.Back in August of 2008, I made a little keychain with a camera for my better half and from there it was non-stop. I took a leap and entered the DIY Street Fair in Ferndale where to my surprise, got a tent. It started just with jewelry, your earrings and pendants and some keychains. Now I have incorporated these images into little art plaques and paintings. Some of them contain a bit of my sense of humor. The photos of the 40's and 50's were strange, no doubt about it. They have crazy ads in the magazines of those days and looking at most of them will bring a little confused chuckle to anyone who sees them, so why not bring that humor to the jewelry and art. My process is not genius. The dark wood looks nice as a backdrop for the old photos. Some of the jewelry pieces incorporate other textures like leather and I hope to find even more ways to expand my ideas.I have no deep thoughts on my process or motivation. I am not inspired by the wind or black holes. I see a weird picture and I think of something that this person/animal would NEVER think of and I put them together. I add a little bit of paint and my wish is that it makes someone giggle. You can see some more of my stuff at fartsyarts.etsy.com.

2 comments:

nicholatte said...

its good to see terry walsh getting the attention she deserves! nick and tana were greatly influenced by her passion and zest for life! we <3 you!

nicholatte said...

its great to hear that terry walsh is getting the attention she deserves! nick & tana were heavily influenced by her passion and zest for life! we <3 you!